This post is part of the Blog Everyday in May challenge which I’m 2-days shy of being caught up!
Day 14: Ten things that make me really happy.
I read somewhere that the best things in life aren’t actually things. I think the best things in life are moments or experiences. So, my ten (non)things that make me really happy:
- Receiving handwritten letters – I love writing letters but receiving them makes me feel beyond happy. In this age, when it’s faster to communicate by email, the handwritten letter has sadly dropped out of favour. And it’s strange because I don’t even know what the handwriting of some of my friends look like.
- The smell of books – Walking into a bookshop is like walking into heaven. I’m assailed by the smell of books and am instantly hypnotised and want to stay forever and ever and ever…
- Thunderstorm – If it rains in the morning, all thunderstorm and lightning, I smile in my sleep. Nothing beats a wonderful thunderstorm to nap or to read.
- Afternoon naps – I wish I had slept lots when I was younger. If there is one thing I’d tell my younger self, it would be ‘sleep as much as you can. Especially in the afternoons’.
- Kittens – Fluffy and innocent. Enough said.
- Lazy weekends – Waking up late, having brunch, read the papers outside on the verandah, get warmed by the sun, watch the squirrels run up and down the yard, have an early dinner, get ready for bed with a book you’ve been wanting to read. Repeat.
- Random acts of kindness – I love it when people do unexpected things and nothing is as unexpected as a random act of kindness – buying a meal for a stranger, letting the old lady behind you go first at the cash register, buying candy for a kid who wanted it but whose mum said she couldn’t afford it.
- When my roast chicken turns out exactly like the picture in the recipe book – That sense of accomplishment that maybe I could be the next celebrity chef 😀
- A clean house – Cleaning products bring joy to me.
- Being surrounded by family and friends who don’t judge me for the strange person that I am